Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The running at Belmont



I look forward to Saturday and the 2012 Belmont Stakes. Could we have a Triple Crown winner by the mid afternoon on Saturday? I'll Have Another will be hard-pressed to make it three in a row though, as the winner of the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness this racing season goes up against 11 other horses and will break out of the 11th position to boot.

I remember the 1970s when Secretariat, Seattle Slew and Affirmed captured the Triple Crown, Secretariat in 1973, Seattle Slew in 1977 and Affirmed in 1978. I was in Omaha then and remember going to the Ak-Sar-Ben Race Track, getting my first taste of Thoroughbred racing. By the way Ak-Sar-Ben is Nebraska spelled backwords. On May 15, 1959, horse racing's 1935 Triple Crown winner, Omaha, was laid to rest at Ak-Sar-Ben  Nice track and great racing.

Place your bets, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment