Friday, June 29, 2012

Blackbirds fall to Braves

The Blackbirds fall to 4-7 on the season after their 9-7 loss at Reid Park last night in a 38-and-over Mountain Division matchup. The Blackbirds once again fielded a skeleton crew, so to speak, as they were missing their top hitter Sean Rollins and their worst hitter, yours truly (just kidding). With my boot on and my crutches at my side, I managed to cheer on my team while keeping the scorebook. As each inning went by I sat quietly, knowing full well it could be months before I'll be able to return to the playing field. My teammates tried their best to pull out a victory as they received a huge effort from three pitchers last night -- starter Sean Flynn and relievers Hector Iglecias and Jaime Cuesta. But, once again, it was one disastrous inning -- the fourth, which caused the Blackbirds' downfall. The Braves plated six runs in the inning and then held off the Blackbirds the rest of the way. Third baseman Allen Gillespie led the Blackbirds with two hits and reached base four times, while making a couple of dazzling plays at third base. Unfortunately, the Blackbirds were able to muster just seven hits in the game -- the two by Gillespie, one by Cuesta, one from Dave Delk, two singles by Tom Bolen  and a double by Iglecias.  The Blackbirds take on the Beantown Bombers next Thursday at Reid Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment