Saturday, June 30, 2012

I'm healing rather nicely, thank you!

This is to all my teammates out there. I'm healing rather nicely, thank you. It's been 36 days since my foot operation and I'm starting to get out and get around town on one leg. My trusty boot on my right foot gives me plenty of cushion, allowing me to make three of my grandson's Little League All Star games last week. I also hobbled over to Udall Park and watched my teammates on the Tucson Old Timers (TOTS) play ball. I even made it down to Reid Park one night and watched my teammates on the 38-and-over team play an MSBL game. I head back to the doctor in a couple of weeks with the hope he'll okay a couple of months of rehab. If that happens, I can put my best foot forward and proceed to the next step in recovery. Needless to say, I miss playing baseball. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dan,
    i found your site while serching the internet for information on fractured heel spurs. Last Thursday I factured my left heel spur and was wondering the outcome of your surgery. Was the recovery from surgery as bad or worse than attempting to let the spur heel on it's own? I'm 38yrs old with three young kids & these crutches aren't making life easy. Thanks for any insight you may have. There doesn't seem to be too many of us out there with fractured spurs.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda,

    Sorry to hear about you spur problem. I actually go in for my check up today. It's been 52 days since operation. I'm driving,I'm down to one crutch and I hope to hear some positive news today -- like can I start rehab. I'll post the findings this afternoon. Thank you for your post. By the way, surgery was painless -- the Doc puts you out and gives you some pain pills and that's about it. It looks pretty tender still (around the back of the heel)and yes it is a pain with those darn crutches. If I wasn't playing ball year around, I would have waited on surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Amandaa:

    It looks like my bone spur operation was a success. You are a lot younger than me -- a good 29 years, I calculate. So, it looks like a good five months of recovery, maybe less in your case. I'm not a Doc, but I feel good after my visit today and plan on playing baseball once again. Basically, they smooth outthe heel and get rid of those awful spurs, staple you back together and you suffer through the down time. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dan,
    Thanks so much for your update. It sounds like the surgery may be a good option for me but still waiting on the plan of my doc. I'm glad to hear your surgery had a good outcome so there's hope of one day walking without pain. I got a knee scooter today which is so much easier than crutches, plus I can almost keep up with my kids. Thanks so much for keeping in touch.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete