Friday, October 12, 2012

TOTS' roster full of youngsters



As most of my readers know, I became a member of the Tucson Old Timers (TOTS) baseball club back in April of 2008 -- just three months after bypass surgery. I've been a member ever since and I'm nearing the five-year mark with the organization -- the oldest baseball team in the country. I was in shock the other day as I checked out the latest roster, which now has 50 active members.

When I joined the club, I was 62 years old and the youngest member. Not so, anymore! A total of 17 players are younger than me! The two rookies on the club are Tim Tolson and Jeff Rein-- both just 60 years old. The oldest is 87-year-old Floyd Lance. The other 15 young men, all born in the 1950s or close to it, include Lloyd Barzell (62), Joel Blutfield (63), Ron Carlson (65), Dennis Crowley (63), Bob Daliege (64), Ted Davis (61), Dan Hughes (64), John Misiaszek (63), Jesse Ochoa (61), Pete Peters (63), Chuck Sabalos (62), Arnold Segovia (61), Jim Pagels (63), David Villasenor (66) and Mike Steele (64).

Wow! Now,  I know I'm getting old! It's no wonder the TOTS' roster is expanding. Where else could you have so much fun playing baseball for $5.00 a month? The second oldest baseball player on our club is 85-year-old Jack Glickman, a member since 1991. Two other members have played over 20 years with the club and they include Jerry Smarik (age 80, years on the club, 21 years) and Archie Burke (age 80, years on the club, 21 years). Talk about longevity!

No comments:

Post a Comment