Friday, September 28, 2012

My final 38-and-over Tucson MSBL curtain call



My final at-bat last night in the Tucson MSBL 38-and-over playoff game between my team, the Blackbirds, and the Beantown Bombers wasn't pretty. About the only good thing that came out of last night was the fact I saw 17 pitches from hard-throwing pitchers who were 20 years younger than this old ballplayer.

The Bombers' closer threw nothing but strikes the final five innings of our 7-5 loss at Reid Park, which eliminated us from the playoffs. As I stepped to the plate, I heard my granddaughter call out, "Come on, Grandpa Dan!" I heard some flack, coming out of one of the dugouts, "Just throw strikes. This guy is 70 years old." Actually, I'm 67 going on 68 and the oldest player in the Tucson MSBL.

The Bombers' righthander unleashed six pitches my way. The final offering, I estimate at 85 miles per hour and the 45-year-old hurler blistered the outside corner for STRIKE THREE! So, I go 0 for 4 with a fly out, a ground out, and two strikeouts as my season batting average dipped to a not too respectable .192. Just one hit and I could have improved on my .227 average, which I had posted prior to my foot injury over four months ago. But I must admit it was great to be back out their with my teammates and last night's experience should help me in the long run as I prepare for the MSBL Senior World Series to be held in Phoenix, Oct 15-21.

At least, I get to face pitchers closer to my age. I doubt I'll see an 85 mph fastball again this year...maybe 70, but not 85!  I should face some crafty veterans at the Senior World Series, but nothing like I saw last night. It was great playing in the Tucson MSBL this year and especially getting the chance to play with my 47-year-old son, Michael. That's 114 years between us, the oldest father-son combination in the Tucson MSBL this season. A special thanks to Blackbirds' manager Robin Badart for giving me the opportunity.

Photo: Dan Price and Michael Price, father and son, members of Tucson MSBL 38-and-over Blackbirds.

No comments:

Post a Comment