Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Senior World Series just around the corner...


Men's Senior Baseball League (MSBL) World Series

70-and-over division





I'm just days away from the 2015 MSBL World Series.

I have a little Arthritis bugging me in my hands, but other than that...I'm ready to go.

I hope to play for two straight weeks at the prestigious senior baseball tournament in Phoenix -- the first week with the San Antonio Texans and the second week with the 65-and-over Tucson Aces.

The Aces, of course, are mostly my year-a-round Tucson Old Timers (TOTS )teammates, but the Texans will be a new team for me.

My partner in crime for the first week will be Ron Petersen,  my teammate through out the year on both the Aces and the TOTS. We'll be two of 14 players on the Texans. We started out with 17 players and we are down to 14, due to injuries. We play a minimum of five games the first week, but could play eight -- if we made it through to the playoffs.

Ditto on Week 2. The difference in Week 2 is there is STEALING and SLIDING! More chances for injury, of course. The 65-and-over division is closer to REAL baseball, while the 70-and-over  division has special rules and regulations to give us old codgers more of a chance to last the week with all our bones intact.

The first week we play a South Dakota team, a team from Detroit, a team from Phoenix, a team from St. Thomas and end our round-robin play againt a team from Australia. The second week we start with a team from Ohio and follow, the very next day with a doubleheader against a team from LA, called  Dodgertown, and a team from the San Francisco area, called Tri Valley. We end up the second week of the round robin against a team from Canada and a team from Wisconsin.

That's ten games for this old 70-year-old, plus another four or five if we qualify for the playoffs.

If, and that's a big if, we're able to advance to the title game in both divisions, that would turn out to be 15 or 16 games in 14 days.

I'll be a tired puppy!

MSBL World Series note: I'm glad I don't play in the 50-and-over division this year. On Tuesday, the 20th of October, inside Tempe Diablo Stadium, the two pitchers are Roger Clemens and Oil Can Boyd. Clemens is 53 and I think Oil Can is 56. I bet they can still bring it. My batting average would take a big hit if I had to face them!

No comments:

Post a Comment