Sunday, October 18, 2015

A drenching at the senior world series


Men's Senior Baseball League World Series

70-and-over American Division


We got wet at the MSBL World Series on Sunday.

Up against the tough former champs (the South Dakota Rushmores), the San Antonio Texans played five complete innings before the rain showers hit at and around the Goodyear baseball facility, the spring training home of the Cleveland Indians and the Cincinnati Reds.

The game was called in the top of the sixth inning with no outs and a runner on first base for the Rushmores. The score at the time 12-3.

Two players -- yours truly (Pigpen Price) and Ron Petersen, who are members of the 60-and-over Tucson Old Timers, are playing for the Texans this week at the MSBL World Series.

Due to wet fields, we (the Texans), will play Game 2 of the 70-and-over American Division round-robin tomorrow morning (Monday, Oct.19) at the Tempe Diablo Sports Complex (annex field #5). Game time 9 a.m.

Originally, our second game of the world series was scheduled for Maryvale Park, spring training home of the Milwaukee Brewers.

Darn! How many baseball games get rained out in the Valley of the Sun. Not many, but with my luck this is the week.

As for yours truly, I managed to step to the plate twice against the Rushmores. I walked once and was stranded at third in the first inning. In the fourth inning, I grounded out to short but a run scored on the play. So, at least, I have an RBI to my credit as we head for Game 2.

Petersen, my year-a-round teammate on the TOTS, hit the ball hard today, but went 0 for 2. Petersen played right field and switched to first base in the later innings. I played shortstop for the first time this year. I like the position, but I'm better off at second base or third. I have some cuts and bruises already...and some muscle spasms already, but I'll be ready to go tomorrow morning.

Man, I love this game.

Upcoming games:

Monday morning, against Detroit.
Tuesday against the Arizona Scorpions
Wednesday against St. Thomas
Thursday against Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment