Friday, March 2, 2012

TOTS' newcomer throws underhand...



TOTS Baseball


Pete Peters, 62, joined the Tucson Old Timers (TOTS) baseball club in 2011. He is one of the newest members of the club, which has had a flux of just-turned-60-something ball players recently join the organization. Peters, formerly a fastpitch softball pitcher, back in the late 1970s and early 1980s -- playing for such teams as Davis Monthan Air Force Base and Hays Roofing, has been forced to return to his underhand, throwing motion in recent TOTS' games, due to a rotator cuff injury. Peters, a catcher, can fire the baseball underhand back to the mound, just about as fast as some of the pitcher's tosses, which are coming his way.

He can even sail a one-hopper to second base with ease. "Yep, I played a lot of fast pitch softball, still kinda miss it," Peters said, following today's game, held at Jesse Owens Park. "I played mostly on the base (at DMAFB) and down at Santa Rita Park. There was a lot of men's fastpitch in Tucson 30 to 40 years ago." Peters seems right at home playing baseball. He's a consistent hitter and fields his position well. It's okay with me...as long as he doesn't throw me out at first base (underhanded), if...and that's a big if, I were to lay down a bunt, which I don't do very often with the TOTS. I like to hit too much.

TOTS footnote: Finding players 60-and-over who are willing to strap on the catching gear and venture behind the plate are hard to find, but the TOTS have a handful of young (I mean young as in 60 to 65) players willing to do so. Chuck Sabalos (62), Dennis Crowley (62), Mike Steele (64) and John Petrick (69...70 on Monday) see there share of action behind the plate. The TOTS even have a trio of 75-and-over members willing to put on the gear and go the distance. The three: Ron Kwart (78), Dick McAnally (79) and Billy Heiny (82). And for my new readers out there, who are reading my stuff for the first time, I'm not making this up. Hats off to all the above!

No comments:

Post a Comment