Saturday, September 9, 2017

Jadon scores! A wonderful moment in time


A moment in time, a moment to cherish forever...



Forgive me if I get a little carried away this morning.

I somehow...slowly, I might add, made my way to the top of the stands at Ironwood Ridge High School last night to witness my grandson, Jadon, and the Nighthawks play their first home game of the season.

They were up against a familiar foe, their rivals from a few miles north, the Dorados from Canyon del Oro. The Dorados star this year, Eli Carey, the younger brother of Ka'Deem Carey, who a few years ago terrorized the opposing secondaries with his electric runs up and down the field.

Of course, Ka'Deem went on to do the same thing at Arizona, before being drafted by the Chicago Bears. Ironically, Ka'Deem was waived by the Bears yesterday.

Getting back to my glorious moment in time, it was a family affair with my daughter-in-law, Amber, and my youngest granddaughter, Bree, taking in all the action with a packed house around us, mostly fans of the Nighthawks. My son, Michael, a battalion chief for Golder Ranch Fire, on duty below, trying desperately to work and watch his son play the game of football at the same time.

Down on the sideline, my granddaughter, Hannah, now a varsity cheerleader was strutting her stuff, while Jadon, #7, had his hands full, along with his teammates, dismantling a gutsy unit from CDO on the field of play.

And then it happened...

With the first quarter ticking away, Jadon waited for the snap and took off down field. He caught the pass from his quarterback in full stride, shook off the last defender and scampered into the end zone for a 53-yard TD reception to tie the game at 7-7.

Jadon would go on and complete his best game as a senior, both offensively and defensively, as the Nighthawks held on for a  24-21 victory to improve to 4-0 and extend their winning streak over CDO to seven games.

At the age of 72 and feeling like an old broken down athlete, I grabbed my cane and headed slowly down the steps, trying my best to remain upright with all the Nighthawk fans scurrying around me.

I had all the time in the world to get to the bottom of the stands and I took one last look at the scoreboard. The Nighthawks had won. Jadon had won. In fact, the entire Price family had won.

A moment in time I'll remember forever.

Photo: My grandson, Jadon, on the run.


No comments:

Post a Comment