Thursday, February 16, 2012

The top five athletes I wrote about during their high school days



I thought occurred to me the other day. My readers hate when that happens, but I usually go ahead and document the thought anyway. Back in my newspaper sports reporting days, I had a chance to see, and write about, some of the top Arizona prep athletes -- many of them destined for stardom. I tried to come up with, in my head anyway, my top five of all time. It was difficult. I guess I had the pleasure of sitting on the sidelines, or court side, witnessing my share of young kids who were heading for the big time. So, here goes.

My Top Five:

Adam Archuleta

Terrell Suggs

Todd Heap

Joe Germaine

Mike Bibby

The five have a couple of things in common: They were all high school stars in the mid to late 1990s in the Phoenix area and I was able to fill up page after page about their accomplishments. Adam and Terrell attended the same high school (Chandler High), Todd and Joe were both stars at Mesa Mountain View, while Mr. Bibby attended Shadow Mountain High School. I retired and just missed the opportunity to follow such greats as Richard Jefferson and Channing Frye.

No comments:

Post a Comment