Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I find myself in a hitting slump



I've got myself into a hitting slump with the Tucson Old Timers (TOTS) this month. For the month of February, I've batted 10 times with just one hit. That's a bit unusual for me, since I normally maintain a batting average around the .500 to .600 mark. I've hit one hoppers to third base, ground balls to shortstop and pop ups to left field. I even had one at bat when I was called out on strikes for goodness sakes.

I keep looking at my aluminium bat like it is its fault. It's not, it is just an old-fashioned slump. The bat is five years old now and it has lost some of its pop. But with the price of bats these days, I'd better keep the old stick. I'm gonna have to break out a couple of wooden bats out of my bag this Sunday when I practice with the over-40 group. I still have a few games this week to break out of the slump.

I really need my hittin' shoes on this Thursday when the Arizona Rattlers from the southside pay us a visit. Of course, when you're in a hitting slump bad things happen. Yesterday, I hit the hardest ball I hit all week -- a line shot down the first base line. It just so happened that Jeff Helzel, who stands 6-foot-3 and played in the minor leagues as a first-sacker a long time ago, snagged the ball right out of the sky. The ball was heading for the right field corner! And so goes the slump!

No comments:

Post a Comment