Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A pitching victory for yours truly


TOTS Baseball

I pitched four innings yesterday in a Tucson Old Timers (TOTS) baseball game at Udall Park. The result: Not too bad. I needed a little help from teammate Ed Rife, a 75-year-old reliever who came on in the fifth and threw the final three innings as the Blue team edged the White team, 6-5. I started off surprisingly with some control as I shut down the powerful White team in the first, second and third innings, but in the fourth I gave up four runs before my teammates bailed me out with a double play to end the inning. Leading 5-4, Rife took the mound in the top of the fifth and allowed just one run the rest of the way. My arm is a bit sore this morning as I have a tendency to over throw -- I struck out three and walked four. On the other hand, Mr. Rife has a smooth, easy delivery and even at 75 years of age can get the job done. Occasionally, he'll unleash a "knuckler" to keep the batter off stride. Offensively, we put up five runs in the first inning and added an insurance run in the sixth -- just enough to squeeze by the White team.

Photo: Yours truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment