Monday, October 26, 2020

73-and-over Scorpions sting the Cal Vets, 22-10

Men's Senior Baseball League World Series

73-and-over division



The Arizona Scorpions jumped out to a 16-0 lead after three innings of play and then let off the gas pedal, allowing the Cal Vets to score 10 runs in the next three innings, but when the dust had settled the Scorpions won easily 22-10 to grab a first-round win at the Men's Senior Baseball League World Series this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa. 

Danny "Pigpen" Price, from the 60-and-over Tucson Old Timers, struggled at the plate with just one hit, one RBI and one run scored.

It's the same old story, just like at home,"  Price said. "I'm lunging at the ball. The two pitchers the Vets used didn't exactly fire the ball to the plate. It was more like watching paint dry."

"I did have a flashback play, back to the old days when I used to slide head first, Price added. "I was the runner at second base, went to third on a hit and dove head first at the plate. I tagged the plate with my left hand. I was safe."

Not! The umpire called  Price out. A stare down followed between the two.

So far nothing good to report from my end. But there's plenty of games left this week -- like five more for sure before we reach the playoffs.

Tomorrow the Scorpions head for Red Mountain Park in Mesa for a showdown at 10 a.m. with Cambria, a team that reached the 73-and-over finals last year.

Wish me luck! I need it. The hamstring is holding up, but the neck pain continues.

Photo: That's me, your favorite reporter. More games and stories to come this week. Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment