Friday, June 17, 2016

In the heat of the moment


Tucson Old Timers (TOTS)

60-and-over baseball




An Editorial:

Putting things into perspective...

I'm a member of the 60-and-over Tucson Old Timers (TOTS), a senior baseball organization. We play three days a week at Udall Park.

After the game today, I answered a call on my car phone and quickly complained to a friend on the other end. The caller listened as I gave him a quick synopsis on the recently completed game -- a game I pitched in and was the losing pitcher.

I said to him. "I struck out two, but I walked six and even hit a batter."

We lost the game 8-4 as my opponent, Team White, took advantage of my wildness in the first three innings, giving them a relatively easy win.

Pete Peters, 67, went 2 for 2, walked once, scored three times and knocked in a run. He was a thorn in my side the entire game. Lefty Dennis Crowley, 66,  pitched a complete game for Team White and picked up the win and I went the distance as well in a losing cause.

"Pigpen," said the caller, using my team nickname. "You do realize you'll be 71 in a few weeks. The TOTS are amazing...you're amazing."

I instantly felt better. After all, we play year around and we (the TOTS) range in age from 60 to 90.

I suddenly realized how lucky I was. I really didn't lose today...I won by just showing up.

I feel so good I'll be back at it on Monday at Udall Park with my teammates. It's supposed to be 117 degrees on Sunday and 111 on Monday.

No worries. It's a dry heat and we are the TOTS.

1 comment:

  1. An intelligent caller!! We are blessed! At a memorial service this morning I talked with a woman. like myself, who have outlived our parents. I have had 16 years my dad never had and 5 over my mom. And I still get to play baseball!

    ReplyDelete