Friday, July 27, 2012

Tebow and the Jets



I spent a week back in the 1990s in Cortland, New York. To be more specific it was in an even smaller town a few miles up the road called Cincinnatus.

I had some friends with the last name of Potter -- a well known name for that particular part of the country, who invited me there. I even played golf on an off-the-beaten path course at a country club called the Knickerbockers -- another famous name, a really famous name from the New York area.

I even took a ride to Cooperstown and spent a day discovering the bygone years of baseball. It would turn out to be my only visit to New York, but one I will always remember. So the other day when I discovered Cortland was the new home, since 2009, for the New York Jets training camp, it was easy to picture in my mind what it must be like for the Jets to get up every morning and prepare for their grueling training sessions.

Cortland has in the neighborhood of 20,000 residents now, up some from when I was there, but the quiet town is certainly not quiet at the moment. Banners are all over the place and a constant cheer can be heard from Jets' fans and the name on the banners... and the name they're yelling is, "Tebow."

But make no mistake about it, Mark Sanchez is the starting quarterback for the Jets, but this Tebow-stuff is just mind-boggling. Sanchez said yesterday that "there's magic in the air" in Cortland. And he may be right. Sanchez will be the Jet's signal-caller from the get-go, but Tebow may be the "magic man" on the sideline.

No comments:

Post a Comment