Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Harper will have plenty of All Star games ahead of him




Bryce Harper is a starter on my fantasy team. The Washington Nationals' 19-year-old outfielder got himself into a pickle and was tagged out last night in his first MLB All Star Game. Harper also misplaced -- LOST, a fly ball last night. But the young Harper will be back and chances are he will turn things around in his next all star game. He's a talented major league player with a great future ahead of him.

Speaking of fly balls, I have had my share of miscues in my lifetime. Those high-in-the-sky pop ups that never seem to come down can be scary at times and make you look silly. I remember back in the 1980s in a celebrity softball game in Tempe, Arizona, when I had the opportunity to catch a high, towering fly ball off the bat of the great outfielder from the Milwaukee Brewers, Ben Ogilvie.

I forget the occasion, but it was a benefit game with the proceeds going to a local Phoenix charity. At any rate, Ogilvie didn't get all of the softball, but enough to send it to MARS! I danced around and danced around. With the crowd laughing, I snow-coned it. I saw the ball when it left Ogilvie's bat...and the next time I saw the white oval, it was clinging to the edge of my glove.

Ogilvie must be 63 years old now and he may still reside in Tempe. Not sure, but seemed to remember one of his kids being a track star in high school. I surfed the Internet and discovered he's a hitting coach in the minor leagues. He's like a lot of us old timers. We need to stay in the GAME!

No comments:

Post a Comment