Friday, September 24, 2010

I miss all those Eddie's of the 1950s...




Back in the 1950s, it seemed liked one Eddie or another was always in the news.

On of the most popular from that era -- my era, I must admit -- was Eddie Fisher. This guy was the man about town back in those days. Nowadays, he'd be all over Entertainment Tonight and the Inside Edition. His daily activities would be thrown out there on national television for the whole world to see. His conversations would be taped, his home bugged, you name it, the man wouldn't be able to make a move with out everyone knowing about it. It's a good thing, Mr. Fisher grew up in the James Dean-era and there wasn't a lot of photographers on the prowl.

This guy was married to Elizabeth Taylor, Debbie Reynolds and Connie Stevens -- just to name a few. He spawned a few children, including Carrie Fisher (remember the Blues Brothers...and the beautiful woman chasing Jake and Elwood). And the man could sing, boy could he sing. Eddie Fisher, 82, died Wednesday due to complications from hip surgery. Another American Idol from the 1950s...gone.

Eddie was certainly a popular name back in my teenage days. Along with Mr. Fisher, well, there was Eddie Haskell (Leave it to Beaver), Fast Eddie Felson (actually, 1961...could you ever forget Minnesota Fats duking it out at the pool table with Fast Eddie in the great Paul Newman-Jackie Gleason flick), rock-in-roller Eddie Cochran...and, of course Eddie and The Cruisers. Must I go on.

Probably not, I better slow down and pour another cup of coffee. It's just you don't see a lot of Eddie's in the news anymore. It's Brittney this, and Lindsay that... Kim...Ashton...Mel. No Eddie's! I'll take my Eddie's from the 1950s, anytime. It was time in my life I'll never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment