Friday, September 24, 2010

Back Strain!



Here I am. Twenty three days away from the Men's Senior Baseball League (MSBL) World Series in Phoenix. Just slightly over three weeks left to go. I've battled my arthritis in my hands, a weak left wrist and now: a back strain. Any ideas for a quick remedy for this 65-year-old body of mine? I've tried stretching, Tiger Balm patches...some Valium pills...and what hurts the most, I've missed three baseball games this week and may have to forego a workout with the World Series team tomorrow morning at Tucson Electric Park.

I think I can throw from third to first, maybe even take a swing or two, but keep the running to a minimum and get by tomorrow with a short workout. Better yet, I'd better stay away until next week. It's like a curse with me and this MSBL World Series. Last year, I battled through many of the same aches and pains...and I was ready to roll by the time the first week of action got underway in Phoenix. I was batting .400, made some nice plays by midweek and then it happened: Some big dude from San Antonio decided to take me out at third base, just because I was going to tag him out. Can you believe it? Well, he came in with his hands held high, thrust his 250-pound body against mine, and took me down. I landed on my head, but I managed to play in three more games before the nerve damage settled in.

Well, I missed the rest of the tournament, hobbled home, and spent the next two months recovering. This time, I want to be injury free, and survive, be competitive, help out my teammates and actually make a difference. Pain, pain go away. I need to get back out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment