Saturday, September 25, 2010

How do you explain this one?



In the Stands Report by Bookemdano: The Arizona Wildcats are 4-0, but for the life of me I doubt I can explain in this forum why they still have an unblemished record and are now sitting at the top of the Pac-10 standings. How in the heck did the Wildcats win tonight at Arizona Stadium? For 58 minutes, the Wildcats offense was downright ugly...for the final two minutes, they were downright awesome!

No touchdowns by California's high-powered offense and no touchdowns by the high-scoring Arizona offense for what seemed like an eternity. And then, a slight breeze hovered over the stadium and a dust devil swirled at midfield (not really...but something or someone must have unleashed a spirit or two that could cause such a chaotic ending). As I said, I can't explain it. But when the dust settled, when the smoke cleared, when the fans headed for the exits, the scoreboard read: Arizona Wildcats 10, California Golden Bears  9.

I had predicted, in one of my previous blog post, that Arizona would dismantle the Golden Bears, 31-14. Boy, was I wrong. I went to bed tonight, crawled under the covers...and I felt like I had been dismantled or dismembered. What a crazy Pac-10 opener! Was it a typical California-Arizona matchup? Sure it was. On a college football Saturday that saw one Pac-10 team, UCLA, upset 7th-ranked Texas, and another, Stanford, crush the great Notre Dame, you'd think we'd be in for something special with 14th-ranked Arizona hosting 24th-ranked California (ranked in Week 2, that is). Instead, we end up with a baseball score, much like you'd see with say: the New York Yankees, down 9-6 in the 9th inning, getting a grand slam, walk-off, tape measure job from A-Rod to escape with a crowd-pleasing win, after committing, say seven errors in the first eight innings.

I'm tired and I'm eyeing the clock on my nightstand. How can any diehard Wildcat fan go to sleep tonight? I can still see the Bears' field goal kicker miss a 40-yard boot to the right. A successful kick would have surly given the Golden Bears a 12-3 victory. Then, Nick Foles engineers a 77-yard drive, capped off by a 3-yard TD pass to Juron Criner for the go-ahead score. Game over! Nope, Arizona kicks off with just a minute left in the excruciating affair and the Bears mount a final drive that edges them close to field-goal range. But wait! Along comes Wildcats' free safety Joseph Perkins who grabs an interception, runs the ball back 10 yards, then fumbles! Follow that up with a big pile up and out of the mountain of humanity comes Arizona corner-back Robert Golden with the ball.

Finally, game over! Mike Stoops must have been beside himself. I know I am. Good night all! Sleep tight. Take two weeks off...and then we'll do it all over again with Oregon State.

No comments:

Post a Comment