Thursday, September 16, 2021

My on the Way Out series, Vol. 1, Part 8 -- Us old people prepared our children for a world which no longer exists

 My on the Way Out series, Vol. 1, Part 8

Preparing our children, grandchildren and great grandchildren for the future was in vain...in 2021 they must learn as they go and fly by the seat of their pants...



What happened to the world?

Just a few years ago, a human being could wake up in the morning, stretch, open the bedroom window and take in a few deep breaths.

The sun rose quickly over the mountaintops and a new date suddenly flipped over on the digital calendar  in the office room. Bacon sizzled on the skillet, fresh glasses of orange juice awaited the recipients who would soon flock to the kitchen table.

It's a new day, a beautiful fall day, in 2021. "What are you going to do today?" the voice said.

"I have no idea!" the second voice said. I need to find work, but I need to locate my vaccination card."

"Mommy, is my school still closed?"

"Is this the day for my lessons at home or can I put my mask on and go out and play with Suzy?"

"Wanda, I might have a buyer for the pickup. We can't afford two cars any longer. It's time to sell."

"We'll make it, honey. Just wait."

"Dad, can I turn off the news?"

"Please!"

All right. You catch my drift. Boy, I'm aging myself with that phrase.

For some families, the morning ritual may be much worse. For others, maybe -- no where close.

But the times are changing and so far not for the good. How do you teach someone to exist, excel or just plain lead a normal life in 2021? Instead we find ourselves in the survival mode. We made it through 2020 and that was no picnic. In fact, there were no picnics. And, we are ten months into 2021 and we are still hoping we can open up that bedroom window, look toward the mountains, toward the ocean...or from whatever spot you call home...and live.


 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment