Monday, January 21, 2013

Stan Musial


The day Stan Musial retired in 1963, I was finding my way to my next class. It was my first year of college and the sports headline of Musial's retirement was the biggest story in the fall of '63, at least the biggest sports story, anyway. The assassination of the President of the United States John F. Kennedy occurred a few weeks later, one of, if not, the biggest news stories of all time.

But on this particular day in September, I searched for the box score of the previous day's game of the St. Louis Cardinals. We all have our favorite baseball players and our first order of business is to open the sports page and scan the box scores to see how our baseball heroes performed.

My goodness, Stan "The Man" Musial could fill up a box score. At the age of 43, I think Musial picked up hit number 3,630 in his final game with the Cardinals. Amazingly he banged out 1,815 at home and 1,815 hits on the road in his 22 years in the major leagues -- all with the St. Louis Cardinals.

It's been close to 50 years since I've searched for Musial's box score. I've missed totaling up the daily accomplishments of the Hall of Famer.

Musial died this week at the age of 92. A baseball legend. He will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment