Sunday, January 13, 2013

NFL final four not what I expected


Baltimore edges Denver in two overtimes 38-35, San Francisco runs over Green Bay 45-31, Atlanta hangs on and defeats Seattle 30-28 and New England (I did predict that outcome) gets by Houston 41-28. Four teams still have a shot at the Super Bowl as the Patriots host the Ravens next Sunday for the AFC title, while  the 49ers head for Atlanta and a NFC title matchup with the Falcons.

I had the Packers and Patriots penciled in for the Super Bowl. So, I guess there's a chance I could be half right. I still think Tom Brady and Company will win it all. But, after this weekend, I've changed my tune a little bit.

How about the San Francisco quarterback?  Colin Kaepernick totals 444 yards and four touchdowns, two by the air and the another two by the run, as the 49ers close out the Packers. The Ravens are battling as well. What does Joe Flacco and Ray Rice do? Flacco throws three touchdown passes and totals 331 passing yards, while Rice rushes for 131 yards and a touchdown in the Baltimore win over Denver.

As for Atlanta, they surprised me. Matt Ryan throws three TD passes and Matt Bryant hits the game-winning field goal with 13 seconds remaining to stun the Seahawks. At least New England did pretty much what I expected as Tom Brady engineered a 13-point win over Houston.

My prediction had Green Bay and New England as the last two teams standing and I went out on a limb and predicted Brady would toss the winning touchdown in the Super Bowl to the former Arizona Wildcat Rob Gronkowski. Well, that won't happen as Gronkowski broke his arm (again!). This time it happened in the first quarter on Sunday. He will require surgery as his postseason play comes to an end.

Gronkowski (photo insert above) will be missed. But I'm still picking the Patriots. Brady still has plenty of receivers to throw to. And trust me, he'll find them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment