Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Let me tear myself away from Fantasy Football to give you my MLB predictions...



The numbers are in on my Fantasy Football League this week, so with another win under my belt (sorry, I don't mean to sound so uppity, I do realize I can lose the next 12 games) I can at least take a moment and focus on Major League Baseball.

Baseball is my favorite sport and everyone that has ever come in contact with me knows that. But this Fantasy Football thing has taken a lot out of me. It takes some concentration figuring out all the numbers, the players, who to bench, who to play, and on and on...and on. Also I'm in a quiet, family and friends league where there's no green stuff involved. It's just for fun, but still it doesn't take long to get wrapped up in it. This is my first try at being the owner of a Fantasy team...it's a real kick. And besides, I can't get fired whether I win or lose.

As for baseball, well I've said all along that the Yankees and the Phillies will tangle in late October to decide the champion of the 2010 World Series. The Giants will fold. Braves and Twins out early. The Rangers will falter without Josh Hamilton at 100 percent, and the Rays have fought off the Yankees all season and things won't go their way in the playoffs. Now the Reds, they're the sleeper, but Mr. Chapman, the Cincinnati reliever who throws 105 miles an hour, can only pitch so many innings. Could it be the Reds and Yankees? Nah!

By the way, I've always said that I'm not very good at this crystal ball stuff. Predictions just aren't my thing. I must admit, it would be good for baseball to see a couple of newcomers emerge and battle it out for the big prize. Baseball is a tough sport...a bad bounce, a Texas leaguer, a bad call by the ole ump -- anything can happen. That's why they play the game. Football is a brutal sport and the outcome of a contest on the gridiron can be brutal for the losing team. Baseball is not as brutal. But the outcome can be just as devastating for the loser, especially after playing 162 games, add some hair-raising playoff games, and then a seven-game series to decide their fate.

Batter up! Let's play ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment