Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Hot Corner...


Playing in 12 games in 12 days at the Men's Senior League Baseball (MSBL) World Series takes its toll on a 65-year-old body.

But the real kicker: Game 12. My position at third base lived up to its name "the hot corner" Friday at Fitch Park in Mesa as the Tucson Golden Aces took on the Ohio Classics in a "play for fun" finale for the team from the Old Pueblo.

Already out as a contender for this weekend's post season (so to speak), the Aces (1-4 for the week) took it on the chin again, losing 16-6 to the Classics (3-2). The Classics snuck into the playoffs with the win. They "hammered" the ball my way yesterday at Fitch Park. Four line shots (I caught one...three went off my glove and caromed into left field.

It wasn't exactly a sparking performance from yours truly, and definitely not the way I wanted to finish up my final World Series appearance for 2010. Oh, I can make a lot of excuses: pulled hamstrings, sore groin, battered left hand, jammed trigger finger...you name it, all of which I seemed to come up with, during my two-week stay in Phoenix at the MSBL World Series.

I can only hope that when I return to the Senior World Series in 2011, there will be a better outcome for me...as well as my teammates. The "play for fun" game at Fitch Park yesterday was far from fun and more like your basic "agony" in sports. My Aces' manager and buddy, Mike Morales, told me through out the tournament to suck it up and play, despite the injuries. I did just that, but still it was a shame to head back down I-10, once again with an aching body and no championship ring.

All I can say is, "Suck it up, and prepare for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment