Monday, October 4, 2010

A copy of Billy's Victory shows up at a thrift shop...



It's a small world after all. I have a buddy named Ed, he's the nicest guy. In fact Ed volunteers as a behind-the-plate umpire at most of our Tucson Old Timers (TOTS) baseball games. Rain or shine, he's there just about everyday.

Ed takes a lot of flack from us old timers, because our strike zone is sometimes different than his. Of course, he can see...and most of us have less than 20/20 vision. He does a darn good job. We're lucky to have him. It's not an easy job due to the fact that many of the TOTS will argue about anything...and talk about anything. But, that just adds to the fun of it all at our weekly baseball games. It makes for a lively dugout.

Getting back to Ed, he loves baseball and he's a pitcher and an infielder in a wood-bat league on Friday nights (his baseball league, mind you, consists of players who are 50 to 60 years younger than most of the TOTS). At any rate, Ed and his fiance went shopping the other day. They stopped in at a thrift store to buy a few things -- including a book or two.

Ed, who is also a blogger, mentioned on his blog recently that his fiance grabbed a book from the shelf at the thrift store and brought it to him. Well, the book turns out to be Billy's Victory, the children's fiction novel I wrote back in 2007. My only book, I might add (it obviously wasn't a best seller, but I did get a kick out of writing it).

Ed and his fiance bought the book. Talk about finding a needle in a haystack. It is a small world after all.

1 comment:

  1. Danny, i'm really honored to have you as a friend. You and the tots I have gotten close to are the best friends I could ask for and I am grateful I can be part of such a great group of guys. My kids really liked your book and my boy is getting ready to read his copy now so...thanks for writing such a great piece on me.

    ReplyDelete