Friday, October 29, 2021

Eugene Johnson, where are you?

On the Way Out series

Vol.  4

Part  8




This happened years ago...

For decades in the Rockies, efforts to remove the oil from the shale has had its ups and downs. Shale is used to make brick...and tile...and natural gas and petroleum can also be extracted, which makes the process an important endeavor -- to say the least.

In the early 1980s the oil shale business went "boom" as oil prices dropped and government subsides dried up in the town of Parachute, Colorado, during the summer of 1982. Exxon pulled the plug and left 2,000 residents to consider making a drastic move or get the heck out of Dodge.

Some left. Some stayed.

The trickle-down effect followed.

But this story is not about shale, or oil...or politics, but it's about a friend I miss -- a man known to all in Parachute as Eugene Johnson, the dancin' machine. Better known, at least from my point of view as, Geno.

Back in 2015, VJs Outlaw Ribbs was still a restaurant/sports pub in Parachute and Eugene, and his wife, Ima, were a hard-working couple. Ima was the woman behind the man and she housed, in that beautiful head of hers, all the secret ingredients that would filter down through to her fingers and finally into a mouth-watering piece of meat, complete with all the trimmings.

The Johnsons had seen a huge slump in their business in 2015, possibly due to the gas industry, the price of oil...and other contributing factors.

Ima and Eugene closed shop and eventually returned to Arizona. Everyone in Parachute missed them and their famous son, who just happened to be a  former member of the Denver Broncos, Vance Johnson.

Vance was one of the three amigos (Mark Jackson, Rick Nattiel and Johnson played together from 1987-92) -- the favorite targets for quarterback John Elway. Johnson helped the Broncos reach three Super Bowls and excel in Super Bowl XXl when he grabbed five passes for 121 yards and a touchdown.

But once again, this article is not about the Broncos, the Western Slope or Parachute, Colorado, but it's about my friend who is not here...it's about Geno Johnson.

Where are you, Geno?

I'm here and you are not. Yes, I know you and Ima reside in Arizona now -- the same state I just moved from and the same state where I once made a living as a sportswriter.

Now, Geno. I'm 76 and I'm pretty sure you just had a birthday. So, I will not say your age, but you are six years ahead of me!

We had our "good times" at the Outlaw Ribbs, back when I made my yearly visits to the Western Slope. The building is still there...still standing on First Street and is now called The Green Joint, but they do not sell ribs there!

Times are sure changing, especially for us old codgers. I know one thing for sure, which is the main reason we always got along so well, we are both young at heart.

The winter will begin soon. I plan to stay near the fire until spring, watch the deer come and go, while they stick their noses -- just outside my bedroom window. I plan to enjoy the Colorado landscape and write my great American Novel.

For all my fellow senior citizens out there and to all my followers, enjoy your winter, your spring, summer and fall...and enjoy your life. 

And keep on dancing. Life is beautiful. Take it from Geno Johnson and me. We wouldn't lead you astray.




Photos: 1) Ima and Eugene Johnson, 2) Vance Johnson, 3) an autographed Broncos muriel, inside Outlaw Ribbs ten years ago.



1 comment:

  1. Love the Johnson family so much, I was blessed to work for them when we lived in Parachute and miss them dearly. We became good friends and enjoyed many good times. Bam!!! Back that booty up Geno. Love and kisses

    ReplyDelete