Friday, October 8, 2021

An old sportswriter recalls special moments in time -- On the Way Out series, Vol. 3, Part 7

 On the Way Out

Vol. 3

Part 7



My short journey -- behind the scenes -- in the world of sports...the men and women I have met along the way -- the difference makers: the coaches, the mentors responsible for the lives of so many.


Us old-timers out there have plenty of stories to tell, away from the world of sports...off the field of  play, but I'll tackle in this article my days as a sportswriter...my footprint in time when I walked the sidelines at a high school football game, wiggled in my seat, along sportswriters' row, at America West Arena, or high above the stands, in the press box, at a baseball or softball game. I got to see it all in my years as a sports reporter in Phoenix, during the 1990s -- covering local and college sports.

On second thought, I can't do this article justice. There were so many moments in time to choose from, so today, I've decided to pick the most emotional ones that may ring a bell with my readers out there -- moments in time,  over twenty years ago.

In general, before I get started, high school coaches and college coaches, direct a select few of young athletes to find their path to glory...but the vast majority of the athletes, who are in the hands of these special men and  women, will never grab the spotlight on a Sunday morning, on television for example... up close and personal in a furious battle on the gridiron of an NFL game.  Instead, they'll find another path in the world, take what the have learned from their mentors and succeed in life...how should I put it, out on the streets of society. How's that? Sometimes, I'm at a loss for words...but most times not. Is it a curse or a blessing? I'll never figure out which...

It was a typical fall day in 1996, Jerry Loper, the head football coach at Chandler High School was taking the Wolves' football footage to Mesa Westwood -- a typical interchange of film back in those days. Loper, one of the most well-respected football coaches in the history of Arizona prep sports, was hit by a drunk driver and killed -- ejected from his vehicle.

The Wolves were in the midst of a mediocre season. The players on the Chandler High football team dedicated the remainder of the season to Coach Loper and surprisingly started to chalk up the wins and reached the 5A semifinals and a showdown with powerhouse Mesa Mountain View and their star tight end Todd Heap, who went on to a great career in the NFL with the Baltimore Ravens. 

With seconds left in regulation, Mountain View was surprisingly clinging to a 20-17 lead. All the Toros had to do was punt the ball away to the Wolves and the clock would run out. But, Yohance Scott, who would go on and play for the Utah Utes, grabbed the punt and headed up the left sideline. I was just yards away. I dropped my clipboard and followed Scott's return. He was thrown out of bounds with no time left on the clock, but a Toros' player was called for stepping onto the field of play, receiving a 15-yard penalty. To make matters worse for Mountain View, another 15-yard penalty was assessed for unsportsmanlike conduct on the sideline.

Suddenly, the Wolves, playing to the end for Coach Loper, found themselves in field-goal range. The Wolves made the field goal, tied the game at 20-20 -- sending the game into overtime.

It took three overtimes to decide the game as Heap would haul in the winning touchdown pass and end what was the greatest high school football game I was ever to witness.

My final offering today, involved the same decade and including two familiar names in Arizona collegiate football, as well as the pros -- Pat Tillman, and the linebacker that followed him at Arizona State, a gutsy, undersized football player from Chandler High School, Adam Archuleta.

Of course, the whole world knows the story of Tillman, the great undersized linebacker at ASU (1994-98), who played four years under the direction of Bruce Snyder, went on to play for the Arizona Cardinals (1998-2001), before retiring from pro football and joining the Army Rangers... and sadly lost his life in Afghanistan at the age of 27.

Little Adam Archuleta was a throw-your-body at the charging-runner-type, while at Chandler High, under the direction of Coach Loper. He was close to the size of Tillman. When I interviewed him in 1995, he seemed my size, but better built of course. As I said, Archuleta would end up at ASU (1997-2000) and move on to the St. Louis Rams in 2001.

I could go on, but enough for today. But you get the picture of my little world in sports -- always from the sidelines. I loved it and enjoyed all the people I met along the way.

By the way, the photo at the top of this story is my grandson, Jadon, #7, playing for Tucson Ironwood Ridge High School in 2017.

I'll post a follow up to that story...next on my regular posts.

That's all for now.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment