Monday, November 1, 2021

Is it time for me to enter the pickleball world?

 On the Way Out series...my new footprints in time

Vol. 5

Part 1



Maybe it's time.

At the age of 76, I should focus on another sport -- a growing sport called pickleball that has increased 21 percent over the past year, according to a recent article by the BBC News.

In fact, since 1965 when the sport began its startup by a family trying to come up with a backyard ping pong/badminton/tennis game for children in the State of Washington, the game has now advanced into 37 countries.

In the U.S., senior citizens and young people, too, are taking up the game at city recreational centers, senior recreational centers, public parks, retired communities, as well as the YMCA and other similar venues.

There's even a U.S. Open Championship in Naples, Florida, every year, during the month of April.

Beware. Like other sports, pickleball is becoming commercialized as well -- graphite paddles, head gear, shoes, wrist bands...well, you name it...you can buy it. I'll start slow and use what is available at the recreational center I attend.

I'll begin with the easy-does-it approach and build on my momentum as I slowly progress up river, so to speak, with or without a top-of-the-line paddle.

The point is, us seniors need to remain active. I mean there's only so much news a person can take -- fake news...sad news...and down right ugly news. So you get started, too. After a while, with some pickleball games under your belt, you'll be ready to swat at the television set with your Electrum Pro 6.0 graphite paddle and say: "Take that slam and put it where the sun don't shine!"

Sorry, got a little carried away there. 

We seniors must stay active. Yes many of my followers can't and I've heard from some of them, but we must reach out if we are home alone and we need to interact with people. There are plenty of competitive card games around to get your dander up. Stay in touch with your lady friends or men friends, rotate from one home to another and put your cards on the table and WIN!

Yes. It's okay to watch reruns of Laverne and Shirley...and maybe I Love Lucy, if that channel is available in your area. Of course, it's more of a guy thing, but give me an old shoot-'em-up Western movie and I can be a happy camper in an instant.

I've seen the classic Western movie, Shane, so many times that I know what Brandon deWilde said at the very end of the flick.

And yes, I'll be back. Those cowboys and cowgirls from the 1950s never seem to age... but I do!

I'm sure John Wayne certainly never heard of pickleball. Put a graphite 6.0 paddle in his hand back in the day and I bet he would have swatted away Jack Elam and Bruce Dern without needing to use his six-shooters. 





No comments:

Post a Comment