Sunday, November 21, 2021

I met a Colorado Cowboy today


My visit to the high country...two years ago today 

November 22, 2021

In my ongoing pursuit of characters along the Western Slope, I found my man today at a local watering hole in Parachute, Colorado -- a real-life, rugged cowpoke who could be a dead ringer for Sam Elliott, the veteran film actor who has made a pretty good living portraying rustic cowboys from the 1880s for more than fifty years.

"My ribs are a bit sore," said the cowboy named Calvin. "I had a horse fall on me up in the high timber. I broke three of them (ribs). At my age, it takes a little longer to heal."

Calvin, at 64, was born in nearby Meeker in 1957. "I left school, started ranching, and didn't get my GED till later. I didn't go in the service. They didn't want me. I'd already banged up my knees, calf roping and riding broncs."

"I'm working south of here, up near Collbran. The couple who own the ranch are in their 90s and actually live in the town of Collbran. My boss runs the ranch, and he lets me do my thing; it's mostly repairing fences. I rent a small cabin in De Beque and drive back and forth. It is a small place, with a stove and no television. I read a lot of Zane Grey books. I love to read. Enjoy setting out on a sunny day and just turn the pages."

Calvin is thinking about heading to Arizona. "I worked in Prescott Valley about a year ago. It's a lot warmer. I like the Camp Verde area, around Cottonwood."

But he's a busy cowpoke up on the Grand Mesa in Collbrun.

He's not alone.

Calvin has Hazel with him, a border collie/Australian Shepherd, who just happens to have her own ID -- a card issued to her from the Elks Club in Humboldt, Arizona. "She's out in the truck," Calvin added, pointing toward the north window of the pub/restaurant. "Hazel is older now. Doesn't work anymore, but believe me, that truck out there is hers, not mine." 

"I've been married a couple of times," Calvin said. "It didn't work out. I have three horses. I don't move them around much anymore; it's too expensive. I board them at my ex-brother-in-law's place in Rangely."

Calvin ordered another bottle of Coors, and I shook hands with my new cowboy friend and paid my tab.

"Nice talking to you. Maybe I'll see you around," he said.

"I hope so," I said. "I'm still awaiting the first snowfall. I'm a city boy from Arizona and have much to learn."

"Just take it easy, and you'll do fine."

I headed home. I imagined Calvin and Hazel sitting by the fire later that night- a peaceful evening along the Western Slope. There would be plenty of work tomorrow at the ranch near the base of the Grand Mesa, but for now, Calvin relaxed, reached for another Zane Grey novel, and patted Hazel on the forehead.

All was right with the world.

Photo: No picture taken of my new friend, Calvin, but Sam Elliott will do.




2 comments: