Monday, November 8, 2021

A walk on the not-so wild side...

 The newness of it all...the freshness...a giant step for this old-timer...and now its one foot in front of the other. Vol. 5, Part 5


I've never been this way before.

At 76, this is not a walk on the wild side. 

A Change is Gonna Come is one of my favorite songs, released in 1964...the year my oldest son, Michael, was born. My youngest son, Daniel Brian, entered this world in 1968.

The song still speaks to me after all these years.

A change of life at my age is a craziness I haven't felt before.

Did I really live in the 1960s? Did I witness the assassination of JFK and his brother, Bobby?



Can I really be that old to have one child turning 57 on November 30th...the other 53 last June?

Sam Cooke's song stands the test of time. Being a Cooke fan means I've been around a while. I didn't show up in Parachute, Colorado on a motor bike. I didn't enter the Western Slope with the sounds of Steppenwolf echoing through the canyons along I-70 between Grand Junction and Glenwood Springs.

Peter Fonda, Jack Nicholson and Dennis Hopper may have found their place in the sun in the fiction classic Easy Rider (1969). As for me, this is real life and hopefully a step in the right direction.

This morning I took a deep breath and took in the Colorado air. 

It felt good.

1 comment: