Monday, November 29, 2021

I heard noises during the night

It's twenty-seven days till Christmas Day/2021 and I'm in Western Colorado with my family. I went to bed early and dosed off. I was midway through a Zane Grey novel...the book clinging to my fingertips, just inches from the floor.

I heard noises in the living room...then laughter. The words of Zane Grey quietly hit the floor and vanished...replaced by the sound of a group of little elves, pint-sized snowmen...and miniature creatures scurrying around, all adding the final touches to a giant tree, ten times their size. I opened the bedroom door and made my way down the hallway and heard Brenda Lee bellowing out the words to Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree.

I suddenly realized the pages of Zane Grey were not on the floor; the book positioned upside down and safely attached to my chest. I had been asleep. My thoughts had been far away...inside a  fantasy world.


 I think!

To make sure, I put on my holiday slippers (just kidding...I was barefooted) and headed for the kitchen. I made myself some hot cocoa, grabbed some chocolate chip cookies and proceeded to turn on the Christmas tree lights.

I sat in the recliner. 

Not a creature was stirring...not even a mouse.

1 comment: