Sunday, April 26, 2020

Taking a swing at the coronavirus


Tucson Old Timers (TOTS)

60-and-over baseball

The Corona Games





This post will not be about a 60-and-over fantasy game. Instead, a little note from me about real life.

Some of the members of the Tucson Old Timers are trying their best to cope under the cloud of this deadly coronavirus. Current count of lost Americans at 54,000 as of this morning.

A group of us, under 10 mind you, meet one day a week -- or maybe two or three if a member of the club wants to push the envelope a bit -- show up at our baseball field at Udall Park in the early morning hours to partake in batting practice only.

Of course, yours truly is the oldest participant in this endeavor. I mean, with the mechanical pitching machine in front of me, I hit, or foul off around 50 or 60 pitches as each one of us steps into an imaginary batter's box and rotates, not only once but twice, or three times during the one-hour workout. We take out all our aggression, grit our teeth and assume the next contact with the ball will instantly kill the virus.

What a kick it is! What a relief it is, after spending the previous day glued to the television set --  listening to all the pain and suffering throughout the world.

Well, wouldn't you know it. I failed to drink enough water (not realizing the heat in Tucson has already returned). Yes, you guessed it another injury pops up as I wake up in the middle of the night cramping. If that isn't enough, I pass out, fall and ricochet off the end of the bed. I now have bruised ribs (I hope, that's all) and I will not be swinging a bat next week.

Rest assured, I'll be back.

By the way, dummy:  Drink more water!



No comments:

Post a Comment