Saturday, April 11, 2020

Remember when...


As the quarantine continues, I sit at my desk looking for ways to make sense of it all.

My thoughts are my own, as crazy as they may be and I struggle to find the reasoning behind them...all of them. I was never one to solve a puzzle, sit at a table and agonize over each piece, searching and searching in hopes of completing the masterpiece in record time.

Instead, I keep my thoughts in my head, until the bits and pieces are ready to explode right off my finger tips. Suddenly, I begin to see them in printed form and I finally can take a big sigh of relief.

My mind is finally uncluttered, at least until the next barrage of thoughts arrives.

I struggle with the rest of the world trying to understand this deadly coronavirus as it gobbles up the human race, one by one. I'm frightened this puzzle has no end.

So, I turn to music and unwind. There's plenty of songs to choose from, but there again, the sounds roar into my head like freshly popped popcorn. Just grab a kernel and go with it...the right song for the right time.

Remember When by Alan Jackson tops the list for me. Yes, it's a love song, but the words through out take me back to when I was a child, a teenager, a young adult and finally a man. For the last six weeks, Jackson's 2003 hit has crossed my mind as I continue to struggle, moving from news channel to news channel trying desperately to make sense of it all.

Finally, a new classic appears in my head. Sam Cooke collides with the popcorn and his 1963 hit pops out. A Change is Gonna Come emerges and suddenly it all comes together.

What does it all mean? Well, it means I can safely remember back as many times as I want to. I also can wait comfortably... for a change is coming.

We may never go back to the world we used to know. Can we change for the better?


No comments:

Post a Comment