Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Butts out as Arizona coach


I had the pleasure of dancing to a rhythm and blues song with a tall, outgoing gal at a tailgate party prior to a University of Arizona football game on a September Saturday in 2008. After the song ended, I shook her hand and thanked her for the three minutes of fun. She smiled and said, "You're old school." She was referring, I assume, to my age and my old jitter-bugging techniques. She was 30 at the time and I was an old coot at 63. As she walked away, I wished her good luck on her upcoming basketball season.

Her name: Niya Butts.

Niya was mingling with a crowd of Arizona fans and how we ended up "cutting a rug" or in this case "dancin' on the grassy knoll"...I don't know. But I do remember everyone around her was also shaking her hand and wishing her the best. I thought to myself, this gal has a lot of spunk. I also figured Butts, a star player on her high school team in Americus, Georgia, and a shooting-guard/forward in her collegiate days at Tennessee, would have her hands full taking over a Wildcats' program that needed a complete revamping.

She did indeed.

Butts moves on after posting a 101-146 overall record in eight seasons at the University of Arizona. Her record in league play 34-110. Butts' final days as head coach will end after the Pac-12 Tournament.

Good luck, Niya...and keep on dancing.


No comments:

Post a Comment