Monday, March 7, 2011

The "Old Coach" is ready for another softball season



It's that time again.

The University of Arizona softball team has played 21 games already. So, that means it is about time for my middle school girls to hit the practice field. In fact, I'll meet my new team, and the parents, on Wednesday, and will follow up with a hand full of informal practices in the next two weeks as I prepare for my second year of the middle school softball program.

Last year, the girls surprised me right from the start as we took it to our opponents and finished with an 8-3 record -- and a third-place trophy at the season-ending tourney. I've lost a few girls through graduation, but I have a hand full of returnees and some newbies with a few years of experience under their belt. So, it should be interesting...and fun. We had close to 50 girls in the program last season and I expect a similar turnout this year. Of course, I'll be looking for pitchers right off the bat. Can't go far with out some flame throwers! This old coach is nearing the age of 66. I hope I don't show my age this season.

I'll try my best to keep up. Batter up!

No comments:

Post a Comment