Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Coaching Middle School Softball... 2011



It's hard to believe that the second year of my middle school softball program is just around the corner. When Monday afternoon rolls around it'll be time for my first official practice for the 2011 season. The season goes by quickly. Six regular season games and a one-day tournament in mid May...and that's it. This year will be special as the girls will be playing on a new field. The field is taking shape as of this writing and the clay was spread over the diamond yesterday afternoon.

It looks like I'll have a good group of girls again this season with 16 returnees and a total of 35 players. As I did last year, I'll post the scores and keep you informed of our progress throughout the season, and, once again, I may have a story to tell, or two, about the girls, but will not mention them by name for privacy purposes.

Last year, we finished with an 8-3 record, including a third-place finish in the season-ending tournament. It is fun to watch the girls' progression from one year to the next. Some of the girls come with credentials and are already playing club ball, while others are new to the game and will need a lot of instruction on the basics.

I've already conducted a handful of informal practices -- mainly just some fielding, throwing and a little batting practice. Of course, wouldn't you know it, the Coach took one in the chops on Tuesday. I was throwing batting practice from about 30 feet. Too close! A nice little cut or two, inside and outside the lower lip. It's all better now. Maybe I should reconsider throwing from 30 feet and move back a little. In middle school softball the spacing between the rubber and home plate is 38 feet. The pitchers get a break in middle school. In high school, 43 feet is customary. And that was just changed recently. For many years, 40 feet was the pitching distance. Of course, I'm an infielder, so I have to cheat a bit to get some speed on the ball. It cost me a fat lip.

No comments:

Post a Comment