Saturday, March 5, 2011

High Noon!



Gary Cooper had his hands full in the 1952 Western, High Noon. I was seven years old when the film hit the theaters. What a cast: Lloyd Bridges, Grace Kelly, Katy Jurado, Thomas Mitchell...and Cooper ( you young folk out there, probably don't recognize any of those names, but us old timers do).

At any rate, after a cup of coffee this morning, I find myself comparing Cooper's signature movie with the University of Arizona basketball game at McKale today at "High Noon".

Now, there isn't much to compare. Cooper's character, Marshal Will Kane, goes up against the bad guys without the support of the town of Hadleyville. That scenario won't happen today as a full-house crowd at McKale Center and an entire town of Tucson sports fans will forget their lunch hour and get behind their beloved Wildcats.

As I write this, the hit song from the movie, 'Do Not Forsake Me, Oh My Darlin', rambles through my head. The song: sung by Tex Ritter (and as an added note for young people out there, Tex was the father of John Ritter of the TV show Three's Company). So, come on "Cats...don't forsake me. Let's crush the Oregon Ducks at high noon, walk out of McKale, and enjoy the afternoon sun in the Old Pueblo.

No comments:

Post a Comment