Sunday, February 5, 2023

Little League begins at the base of the Huachuca Mountains

 From the desk of Dan Price

A sunny day on a ballfield at the base of the Huachuca Mountains in Sierra Vista, Arizona. It's the first Saturday of February. It's nine o'clock in the morning.

I'm, of course, the newcomer in town looking for something to do. I see a group of kids gathering at Stone 1 field, the north baseball field at the Sierra Vista Sports Complex, within walking distance of my residence.

I, of course, didn't walk there but drove, and as it turned out, I was glad I did. My baseball gear was stored safely in the trunk of my car.

I made friends quickly. Sure, I can help out I said.

I quickly recalled the baseball movie Rookie with Dennis Quaid. It was the scene when he considered giving up the game for good. However, it was nighttime, and he had reached the edge of the fence and waved to the young centerfielder just seconds before the next pitch of the Little League game.

He smiled and walked away.

"Do you want to hit infield?"

"Sure, I said." It was evaluation day. 

The young man said. "They get five swings, then run to third and hustle to short, and you hit each of them three ground balls."

One by one, the little leaguers rushed to the plate and did exactly as they were told. Eventually, each one grabbed their glove and hustled to the shortstop position. I hit a ball to every one of them as instructed.

Three hours later, I was tired, but I had a smile. I'm back in the game.

"We can sure use you," said one of the volunteer coaches.

To make a long story shot. If I pass the background check, I might get a call.

Could I be in the right place at the right time?


We will see.


No comments:

Post a Comment