Wednesday, February 1, 2023

I'm back...

 

From the desk of Dan Price...

I'm back!

And since I've been away...

Kansas City held on last Sunday and took down Cincinnati 23-20. At the same time, the Philadelphia Eagles rolled over Brock Purdy and the San Francisco 49ers 31-7, setting up the final contestants for the Super Bowl on Sunday, February 12, in Glendale, Arizona.

Speaking of Purdy.

I was in my final year as a sportswriter with Independent Newspapers in Gilbert, Arizona, in 1999. The year Purdy was born! Purdy lived in Queen Creek, Arizona, a suburb of Gilbert, and grew up to be a prep star at Perry High School, moved on to his college digs at Iowa State, and, of course, you diehard football fans know the rest of the story.

A few days ago, Purdy was the starting quarterback in the NFC Championship game. Unfortunately, he was injured during the game and may be out for six months or more if he elects to have surgery on the Ulnar Collateral Ligament of his elbow.

Closer to home, my Arizona Wildcats are on a roll with a sweep at home over USC and UCLA two weeks ago and an on-the-road sweep of the Washington schools last week. This week, the Oregon schools visit McKale.

Arizona's latest antics haven't gone unnoticed as the Wildcats reached No. 5 in the nation this week in the AP Men's College Basketball poll with a 19-3 overall record.

Way to go, Wildcats!

As for me, I'm living with hummingbirds now.

Well, a few miles away anyway, near Ramsey Canyon.

The area attracts 170 species of birds, including rare hummingbirds and golden eagles, hawks, and woodpeckers. The locals say hummingbirds will be around from late March until late September.

Enough of birds.

I'm finding my way around Sierra Vista and landed an umpiring gig from April to October. It's slow-pitch softball, a far cry from the sport of baseball that I love. I may do some high school baseball umpiring in Sierra Vista and surrounding towns like Benson, Bisbee, Willcox, Tombstone, St. David, and even Douglas.

Of course, at 77 years of age, I'll need to take baby steps. There's only so much this old-timer can do. I may be a stringer for the local paper and cover high school sports.

And I need to return to Tucson from time to time and play with my favorite baseball team, the 60-and-over Tucson Old Timers. I'm still a member in good standing. At least, I think I am.

That's all for now. More to come...


Photo: of the old-timer -- the roving reporter.


5 comments:

  1. Always at TOT in good standing, unless of course you're diving in the hole to backhand a ground ball. Then just good 'ol "Pigpen".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, I'm regularly working out here in Sierra Vista. The next time you see me, I'll be buff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BUFF!!! 🤔. Okay, I believe you without a doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dan, so glad to see your writings again!

    ReplyDelete