Monday, May 21, 2012

The Doctor says I'm done



I've been nursing a fractured bone spur in my right heel for about nine months. I  took some time off from playing baseball last winter, hoping the injury would somehow go away without surgery. And for a short time it did. I played fifty or so games this spring, including the last seven weeks with a team in the Tucson MSBL, the 38-and-over Mountain Division Blackbirds.

Last Thursday, I came up limping after a double play attempt at second base. By Sunday night, the pain in the heel was back and on Monday morning I made an appointment with my foot and ankle doctor. It didn't take long for the doctor to set up the surgery for this Friday.

The fractured spur is pushing on the Achilles tendon, which is the main reason I haven't been able to beat out those infield hits. According to the doctor, if I end up injuring the Achilles, I'll  really have problems. As it stands, I'll be off the playing field for six months! And that means no MSBL World Series in October, once again, for yours truly. But, I'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment