Saturday, December 5, 2009

What is this world coming to...



It's Saturday morning and I'm enjoying my third cup of coffee while blogging away on my trusty old laptop. I came across a story on Ken Stone's Masters.com that had me shaking my head. I took a deep breath and smiled. What is this world coming to?

 Stone was discussing a rumor (and I hope that is all it is)about the possibility of drug testing for the Masters athletes. Oh, my goodness...nothing like an old time athlete on drugs. I can't see this ever coming to pass. But if it did, I can just see an old timer in his 80s, competing in a track meet at some local senior games, being pulled off to the side and reprimanded for taking too many Cortisone shots. Are we getting that competitive? I guess we are.

I suppose if I was a world-class runner and fighting father time, I wouldn't want some guy from Germany, shot up with who knows what, beating me by 10 meters. I know one thing for sure, if a bunch of guys, wearing black suits and ties, showed up at Tucson Udall Park to see the Tucson Old Timers (TOTS) play baseball and then issued a drug test following the game, we might as well pack up our bats and balls and take up knitting. All kidding aside, I'm sure the concern is not with a bunch of old timers playing baseball...although I did see a player or two at the Mens Senior Baseball League (MSBL) World Series that could of...nah...no way.

No comments:

Post a Comment