Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Westcott's flair for the dramatic...



I watched the Snowboardcross (SBX) final yesterday.

The Winter Olympics event reminded me of my 9-year-old grandson shooting out of the gate at a Tucson BMX track and winding his way to victory. Of course the comparison ends there. American Seth Wescott exploded out of the gate at the SBX course on Grouse Mountain in Vancouver B.C., jockeyed for position against three of the world's finest racers, and came from behind to edge Canada's Mike Robertson at the finish line for the gold medal. Tony Ramoin of France won the bronze.

The race is straight down hill at 80 mph with enough hairpin turns thrown in to make it even more dangerous. With slick snow under your feet, no less. I can't imagine what Westcott's family members were thinking. My heart is in my throat when I watch my grandson bolt out of the gate on a two-wheeler. At least he has a sandy spot on the Arizona desert to land on.

Like BMX racing, the Snowboardcross racer needs to use speed and strategy to maneuver around and through the competitors. Westcott was in fourth place after one-third of the run was complete. He certainly has a flair for the dramatic. My grandson has left BMX racing and is now concentrating on baseball. That is a little easier on my heart. If I hear he's taken up snowboarding...then I'll start to worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment