Wednesday, November 25, 2020

The Roland Boys continued...

Tucson Old Timers (TOTS)

60-and-over baseball



Doc and Gary Thompson







Sixty years ago, DeLon "Doc" Thompson signed a contract with the Minnesota Twins and played a couple of years of minor league ball. Doc, now a member of the 60-and-over Tucson Old Timers, grew up in Roland, Iowa with older brother, Gary, who just happened to set a trail to stardom in Iowa basketball and became an all-American and even found his way to the Ed Sullivan show with the other all-Americans, including Wilt Chamberlain. The gym floor (see above photo) in Roland was renovated in 2016, bearing Gary's signature.

As for Doc, besides playing baseball with the TOTS, he has enjoyed a career in country music. Although, at the age of 78, he's content with playing baseball three days a week with the Tucson Old Timers, but still finds time to do some business transactions with his music.

"In my song writing, I have tried to stay true to the classic sounds of country music and country-Gospel music," says Doc Thompson. "I still enjoy writing love songs, story songs, feel-good songs and romantic songs."

Thompson still enjoys the game of baseball.

And yes he can still pitch. Just ask the players on the Tucson Old Timers.







 


4 comments:

  1. My Dad said there was a video but I don't see it. Also, is this a part two? "Roland Boys continued..." ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, Angela. I stopped dealing with YouTube and they in turn pulled the plug on some of my videos. So, they no longer show up on my blog. But there's a YouTube video out there about Gary Thompson. I think it has something in the title regarding an Iowa State letter sweater. That's the one I had found and put on my blog with my story on your dad. As for articles on your dad on my blog go to search at top of my home page left hand corner and type in your dad's name and you should get all the articles over the years.

    ReplyDelete