Sunday, December 8, 2013

I had the honor of shaking hands with Ka'Deem tonight


Arizona Wildcats Football

Ka'Deem Carey


I won't say I was dragged by my better half tonight to Loews Ventana Canyon to listen to an hour of Christmas caroling, I did go along willingly and has it turned out I was glad I did.

I ran into Ka'Deem Carey in the lobby. The Arizona running back was just finishing up an interview, along with a few of his teammates, who I figured out later were on hand for some interviews following the football team's banquet, which was held earlier in the evening at the resort.

I must say I was impressed with Mr. Carey, who was dressed in a suit and tie and was answering question after question from the reporters, while shading his eyes from the glare of the TV cameras.

I, of course, introduced myself as Carey walked away from his final interview. I shook hands with the young man and broke the ice by saying, "I see your uncle at least once a year," referring of course to Vance Johnson, the former University of Arizona running back who went on to play for the Denver Broncos.

Every year, I motor up to Parachute, Colorado to visit my son, who lives in the small burg which is located 35 miles east of Grand Junction. Johnson owns a restaurant/bar in Parachute and it is a well-known "watering hole" for my son and many residents in the area, and it's also a special stop-off point along I-70 for Bronco fans who travel east and west on the interstate on a daily bases.

Johnson was a member of the "Three Amigos" -- a trio of receivers from the 1980s who were on the receiving end of many passes from Denver quarterback John Elway.

Here we are close to 30 years later and it is Johnson's nephew, Carey, who is now in the spotlight. With over 4,000 career rushing yards, Carey heads into the AdvoCare Bowl in Shreveport, La. on New Year's Eve as the University of Arizona's all-time rushing record holder.

I patted Carey on the back as we parted ways tonight and told him how much I enjoyed watching him run up and down the football field this season. I almost asked him if he would be coming back to Arizona next season, but I didn't. The reporters had already floated that question once or twice tonight.

I hope he returns.

As for Vance, well if you're ever on I-70 and heading for Denver, stop-off at his place, VJ's Outlaw Ribbs, have a bite to eat and a cool one, take a look at the pictures on the wall, and, if you're lucky, Mr. Johnson may be around to talk some football.




No comments:

Post a Comment