Sunday, February 24, 2013

Kuchar is the new King of Dove Mountain


Matt Kucher is the last man standing -- the new King of Dove Mountain. And boy does he deserve it.

I went out to the Accenture on opening day and watched 'em all tee off at the first hole. Most of them hit the little white ball a good 300 yards-plus right down the middle of the fairway. The first 200 yards was nothing but cacti and rocks. I thought to myself, somewhere in that mess would be my ball!

Kucher breezed through five days and close to six rounds of golf at Dove Mountain, fought off not only the likes of Sergio Garcia and Hunter Mahan (just to name two of his six opponents), but rain, snow and winds in excess of 25 miles per hour.

I went out to get the Sunday morning paper out of the driveway somewhere around eight o'clock. It was COLD OUT! 31 degrees! Kucher and the other three semifinalist were just teeing off at Dove Mountain -- 30 miles away.

The thought occurred to me: Will these guys be back?

I hope so.

Just watching those PGA professionals tee off is mind-boggling. It makes me want to dust off my clubs and head for the driving range.

Hats off to you, Matt Kucher. Well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment