Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Palace Bar




Stopped in at the Palace Bar on Whiskey Row on Saturday afternoon. It's been a while since I've visited the rustic watering hole in Prescott, Arizona. We were in town to enjoy the annual Christmas tree lighting ceremonies at the courthouse and see the parade.

Thirty five years ago, I spent my share of weekends playing fast-pitch softball in Prescott and on one or two occasions (probably more) I'd find myself, along with my teammates, of course, visiting the Palace Bar. So, it was understandable, that I'd wander into the famous bar yesterday at high noon.

What I didn't expect, was to run into a former teammate from Tucson, who I hadn't seen in fifteen years. In walks Tucson MSBL Hall of Famer Bud Warnke. Bud and I played in the National Senior Olympics back in 1995 when our local baseball team, Desert Diamond, knocked off Delaware, Maryland for the title and the gold medal at Hi Corbett Field. Needless to say, it was a fun afternoon.

Bud, this Bud is for you!

2 comments:

  1. That's my hometown. :) Great place, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great place! I love it up there. You must have had a ball growing up in Prescott.

    ReplyDelete