Thursday, December 23, 2010

I hope Jeff Bridges will make my day, again!

I


t's about time. Another good old Western movie lands in theaters across the country today. Although, its a remake of the 1969 flick, True Grit, I can't wait to buy my ticket, order some popcorn and settle in for 110 minutes of Jeff Bridges as Rooster Cogburn.

For years, I made it a point to see every movie release that had Jack Nicholson as the main character, now ole Jack is content with his sideline seat at the LA Lakers' games and he isn't logging a lot of minutes on the silver screen, so I've replaced him - put him on the bench, so to speak, and inserted Mr. Bridges on my "must-see this actor perform" list.

Arguably, Bridges' Oscar-winning performance last year in Crazy Heart was his all-time best, but chances are he will put on an eye patch and take the Cogburn character to new heights. Although, he'd be the first one to tell you that he's in no way replacing silver screen icon John Wayne. But I personally believe there's plenty of room, as far as my movie-watching goes for both icons.

As for Wayne, I'll stick with my memories of "The Shootist" as John Wayne goes down for the last time in a saloon gun battle with the likes of villains Richard Boone and Hugh O'Brian. As for Bridges, he's not done yet. If I'm around 20 years from now, chances are I can still tune in the old movie channel and catch both men in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment