Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Kid and the Bulldog...




I recently returned from the 2009 Mens Senior League Baseball (MSBL) World Series, the largest amateur baseball tournament in the world. For twenty two years the event has brought ball players together to participate in the game they love. I can tell you right now, I'm ready for No. 23.

Next year, in the middle of October, I'll head back up I-10 in hopes of competing in both the 60-and-over and 65-and-over divisions. This was my first World Series. My first rodeo, so to speak. I found out rather quickly that the event not only brought senior ball players together to play the game between the lines, but it was also a chance for many to renew or make new friendships that will last a lifetime. I had the honor of meeting a teammate who plays baseball year round in a town 3,000 miles away. He hails from New Hampshire and was a star pitcher for the University of New Hampshire in the 60s. During the Senior World Series, Bob, 67, pitched a total of 46 2/3 innings, including 18 innings one day when he hurled both ends of a doubleheader.

I played third base and I watched in amazement throughout the Series as Bob battled for every out. But that's only half of the story. Off the field was as much fun as playing on the field. Six of us--1/4 of the Tucson Golden Aces--rented a house during our two-week stay in Phoenix. We were strangers when we met, but we were best buddies by the time we headed our separate ways. Four of us are from Tucson--Joe Banner, Tom Barrow, Tony Bonillas and yours truly. Bill Smith, from Wakefield, Ma. was the fifth member of the group (and an amazing character as well and I would need more space to do him justice) and of course the "Bulldog" -- Mr. Fortier, completed the half dozen.

I had forgotten all the locker room antics I had found myself in, back in the 60s, when I played college ball. After spending two weeks with the "dirty dozen" or  -- as I like to refer to them as members of the "House of Cards" -- the memories came back front and center. Oh, what a time we had! Smith and Barrow are both 69 years of age. Bonillas, who had triple bypass surgery four months ago, is 66 years of age and Banner is 67. That makes me the "Kid" at 64. I spent a lot of time with the "Bulldog" throughout the two-week period. He's a talker and I found out rather quickly that the only time he remains relatively quiet is when he's on the mound. But I learned a lot from him. This was my first rodeo, but definitely it was not his. Bob called his wife one morning and advised her that he was rooming with a "Kid".

She giggled. There's only three years difference in our ages. I have five new friends now and they all love the game of baseball just like I do. I can't wait til next October.

Photos: Top photo: Tucson players (l to R,top row) Cres Carino, John Nowotny, Joe Banner, Mike Morales, Frank Castillo and Larry Armstrong. Bottom row,l to R) Danny "The Kid" Price, Ron Petersen and Doug Mullins. Bottom photo: Out of state players (l to R) Billy Smith, Wakefield, MA., Bob "The Bulldog" Fortier, Nashua,NH., Doug Randall,Las Cruces, NM., Don Drown,Ft. Myers, Fl., and Jay Hayner, Rexford, NY.

No comments:

Post a Comment