Saturday, November 7, 2009

It's a great weekend to be a UofA fan...



In the Stands Report by Bookemdano: I'll get up Sunday morning and retrieve my morning paper from the driveway, I'll then quickly head back inside my house, pour my first cup of coffee, sit back on my sofa and read about the Arizona Wildcats.

I already know what happened, but I'll read the sports page anyway. It's a ritual. My goodness, don't take away my morning paper...I'd be lost without it!

Of course, the score of the game was the same as it was 14 hours earlier. The headline says Wildcats 48, Cougars 7. Reading about a Wildcats' win is a great way to begin the day. This Sunday morning will be a special one, seeing's how the UofA now finds themselves in first place (in loss column, that is) in the Pac-10 with four games to go.

Wow! Oregon decides to get in a slug fest with Stanford on Saturday afternoon...and the Cardinal hang tough as they knock off the Ducks, and all of a sudden the fans of the Wildcats (me included) are talking the Rose Bowl. You have to admit, Arizona's destiny is now in their hands. Win the next four and it's on to Pasadena.

I've been waiting all season for a kickoff return or a punt return. I finally got what I was praying for as Travis Cobb raced 95 yards for a touchdown to start Saturday's game against the Cougars and I really got some icing on the cake when Bug Wright goes 86 yards to paydirt, after receiving a punt in the third quarter. Now, Bug is my man. A few weeks ago I wrote an article on my blog that this would be the "Year of the Bug". Of course, Bug has been out of action due to a leg injury and I have had to wait patiently for his return. Punt return, that is. It was a thing of beauty, just like Mr. Cobb's electrifying run,which started the Wildcats' rout of the lowly Cougars back in the first quarter.

Also, hats off to Mike Stoops' and his staff. They had a gameplan: get the early lead, pour it on a little, then back off and play the reserves and rest the starters. It worked to perfection.

California here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment