Thursday, March 28, 2019

Opening Day!


Major League Baseball





It's my favorite time of the year.

The first pitch is just a few hours away as the 2019 Major League Baseball season gets underway. Baseball! You gotta love it. I'm sure there's a few...well maybe more than a few, who have better things to do than watch a baseball game for three hours.

You might be surprised, but I also wiggle in my seat by the time the seventh inning rolls around in a hot-contested Major League game. Yes, I'd rather be on the field with my teammates on the 60-and-over Tucson Old Timers and playing America's favorite pastime.

Unfortunately, at the age of 73, I find myself on the disabled list for another week or so, this time with a neck injury (too many dives for balls at third base, I guess). My physical therapist, who happens to be a 73-yard-old tennis player, feels my pain -- not in my neck, but what is inside the  crazy head of mine.

"I'll probably die on the ball field," I said, while in the midst of a treatment.

"I'd rather die on the tennis court," said my therapist.

Wow! I have come to the right place.

I fully expected to see a scene suddenly appear on the wall of the therapist's office from The Field of Dreams when the great character actor James Earl Jones relates why we play the game to Ray.

"The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball."

Another season begins...

Note: A post from one year ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment